SURVIVING DEPOTS OF THE
SOUTHERN PACIFIC RAILROAD

The Southern Pacific Railroad and its subsidiaries provided passenger service from the 1860's until May 1, 1971. On this date, with the birth of Amtrak, most passenger service by the S.P. ended, although commuter trains on the San Francisco peninsula continued until the 1980's. For many years prior to this, however, passenger service had been steadily declining, leading to the closing of many passenger depots. Many freight depots were also closing due to declines in business and the abandonment of branch lines. As a result, many of the depots were destroyed either by the company, by fire, or by new developments. These are the survivors.

EP&SW, NCO, NPC, and SPC were bought by SP. The T&NO was merged into SP.
The NWP and the SD&AE were subsidiaries.

Depots of the following companies related to the Southern Pacific may be found on their own sites: St. Louis-Southwestern, Northwestern Pacific, Pacific Electric, and the Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge.

NOTE: if you know of a depot not listed, or you can provide an address, please notify the host.

This page is part of David Coscia's SP Site

October 20, 2012

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
RAILROAD ABBREVIATIONS .
AE - Arizona Eastern NPC - North Pacific Coast
AT&SF - Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe NRHS - National Railroad Historical Society
GH&SA - Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio SA&AP - San Antonio & Aransas Pass
HE&WT - Houston East & West Texas SD&AE - San Diego & Arizona Eastern
H&TC - Houston & Texas Central SLSF - St. Louis - San Francisco
I&GN - International & Great Northern SPC - South Pacific Coast
MKT - Missouri, Kansas, and Texas TM - Texas Midland
MP - Missouri Pacific T&NO - Texas & New Orleans
MTA - Metropolitan Transit Authority (Los Angeles) T&P - Texas & Pacific
NCO - Nevada, California, and Oregon UP - Union Pacific


ARIZONA .
Benson replica, now the Benson Chamber of Commerce
Clifton a replica built at the Scottsdale McCormick-Stillman Railway Park
Douglas EP&SW depot
Florence freight depot moved to Avondale; in the middle of a tank manufacturing company yard
Globe GilaValley, Globe & Northern; later AE; being renovated by volunteers; the freight room was renovated two years ago;
the cafe was damaged by a fire and demolished
Litchfield CS #22; purchased by City of Goodyear and moved to Roscoe Park at 15600 W. Roeser (Feb 4, 2009)
Miami passenger depot with adjacent freight shed
Patagonia now the city hall
Phoenix Union Station, now Amtrak Thruway bus stop only
Red Rock now a residence painted white, across I-10
Rillito appears to be standing next to former rail line; wooden depot is in bad shape but is for sale
Safford .
Tempe now a restaurant
Tombstone now county library
Tucson EP&SW, now a restaurant
Tucson now Amtrak, owned by City of Tucson, used as a transportation hub
Willcox rebuilt
Yuma freight abandoned but in good shape


CALIFORNIA .
Agnew SPC, home to California Central Model RR
Alturas NCO
Alviso SPC, moved, now private residence
Arbuckle still trackside, section cut on north side, used for painting large trucks and trailers
Arcadia freight moved to Travel Town Museum in Los Angeles
Auburn now the Chamber of Commerce, track one
Auburn on track two
Bakersfield passenger next to the yard
Bakersfield freight at 2lst and R streets, damaged in a fire
Bena moved to the Kern County Museum in Bakersfield
Benicia now offices and a gift store, home of a group wishing to revitalize the town
Berkeley West at 3rd and University; in danger now that restaurant went out of business
Broadway .
Burlingame Mission style.
Burrel now a store east of Riverdale at 700 Mt. Whitney Ave.
Caliente office burned, freight part moved .7 miles east of RR Xing on Caliente-Bodfish Rd., now a barn
Calistoga redeveloped as shops, including railcars outside
Campbell SPC freight depot, looks like one in Felton
Campo SD&AE, part of San Diego RR museum
Capay private residence
Capitola moved, now the Inn at Depot Hill; 250 Monterey Street
Centerville ACE and Amtrak California; 37260 Fremont Blvd; Fremont, CA
Chico Amtrak, Greyhound, and retail space; trackside at 5th Street
Chowchilla moved, now a VFW post; 245 South 5th Street
Colfax passenger being restored as an Amtrak stop and a museum
Colfax freight now an auto parts store
College Park .
Colma now Colma's Historic Train Depot; 1500 Hillside Blvd.
Corning two walls of wood freight section standing several miles from town, passenger portion destroyed
Cottonwood passenger section a retail store at Brush Street and Front Street; freight section now a welding shop, location unknown
Coyote passenger now a private residence
Coyote freight now a feed store
Crockett now a museum
Danville moved, now the Museum of the San Ramon Valley
Davis now Amtrak
Dinuba Moved, now the "Alta District Historical Society - Depot Museum" at 289 South K Street
Earlimart CS #22 Freight portion located at Front/Center; now a hardware store, turned 90 degrees from tracks
East Oakland moved to the Embarcadero along the Oakland Estuary
Edison looks like a shack, depot in bad shape, next to track between two large packing plants
El Centro passenger now the UP dispatch center for the Imperial Valley
El Centro freight boarded up with large metal bars with locks across the doors
Esparto now private residence; for sale
Estelle Moved to the Imperial Valley Pioneers Museum in El Centro
Fellows office portion only in private residence; 30360 Orange Street (look for blue mail box), 0.2 miles west of Shafter Avenue in Shafter
Felton freight moved to Roaring Camp & Big Trees RR
Fillmore now a historical museum
Folsom now the chamber of commerce
Fowler moved, now antique store on Clovis Avenue .6 mile north of Hwy. 99
Fremont see Centerville
Fresno at 1713 Tulare Street; now an office building


CALIFORNIA .
Gilroy being restored
Glendale now Amtrak
Goleta now the South Coast Railroad museum
Grenada Along the tracks south of Highway A12; now a private residence
Gridley California & Oregon depot from 1870; located in the city park at 194 Washington Street
Hanford portion of it located in park southwest of SP/SF diamond
Healdsburg Cal Northern
Hillsdale on old Bayshore route, passenger depot and shelter
Hollister now a restaurant
Holtville moved to a local museum
Hood freight abandoned
Inyokern moved to County Line Auto Wrecking in Ridgecrest
Ione still in yard, now the office and warehouse for a small resins plant
Ivanhoe Moved to Road 156 north of Avenue 330; private residence
Jacumba SD&AE, now a private residence
Kenwood now a meeting hall
King City moved to San Lorenzo Park, many original furnishings in the depot
Kingsburg at California and Draper; city making attempt to purchase and restore
La Mesa SD&AE, now San Diego Trolley stop
Live Oak Being restored as a community center; Elm Street and Live Oak Boulevard
Livermore now Coldwell Banker real estate
Locke freight depot, built in 1916 for trans-loading barges and railcars
Lodi now the transit center and Amtrak, moved one block south from original location in the year 2000.
Lone Pine now a private residence
Long Beach now a laboratory; 1475 San Francisco Avenue
Loomis depot not destroyed, moved to park and ride lot, in process of being restored
Los Altos now retail stores
Los Angeles Union Station: home to Amtrak, Metrolink, MTA Red Line subway, and MTA Gold Line light rail
Los Molinos Moved south of town to Highway 99 and Sherman Street; private residence
Madera at Yosemite and E Street; now the Chamber of Commerce
Magalia now a restaurant
Martinez now Amtrak
Maxwell moved to Forest Ranch, east of Chico on Hwy 32
Menlo Park passenger now the Chamber of Commerce
Merced at 16th Street and N Street; now the Chamber of Commerce
Millbrae home of the Millbrae Train Museum; at California and Murchison
Modesto at J Street and 9th; now the Modesto Transportation Center
Montague moved, now Montague Depot Museum; 230 South 11th Street
Montague freight shed moved out of town, now a barn
Monterey now a boat shop
Moorpark demolished long ago; the structure that looks like a depot is a former feed elevator
Mount Shasta passenger now a private residence near Black Butte
Mount Shasta freight Modified but identifiable; Mt. Shasta Boulevard and Alma Street
Mountain View replica CS #18 to be built
Mulford covered in stucco; photo on web from 2003
Newman moved to Hwy 132, east of Hwy 33, near Vernalis; now a produce stand and deli
New Pine Creek NCO, moved off track, private
Niles now a historical society and a model railroad club
North Hollywood at Chandler and Lankershim; owned by MTA
Oakland 16th Street, plans for land redevelopment and restoration are ongoing
Oakdale second depot built in 1897, restored
Oceano along the tracks, being restored
Oil Junction moved to Orange Empire Railway Museum
Orland moved to Glenn County fairgrounds, used as fair offices and museum.
Oxnard in use by UP MoW; 273 East Fifth St.
Oxnard only second story of #22, now a house, on North Oxnard Blvd next to railroad tracks


CALIFORNIA .
Palms former SP Santa Monica branch became PE in 1911; now in Heritage Square; Highland Park
Palo Alto 1940's art deco style, Cal Train stop, being restored
Paradise Restored and now used as a railroad museum
Paso Robles Amtrak; 800 Pine Street
Patterson freight portion on Las Palmas east of town and passenger portion of the No.22 on Northmead
Petaluma freight restored, photo from 2005 on web
Pixley Streamline Moderne-style depot, moved to Sam Davis Towing, 1575 N. Park Drive in Pixley, possible future museum
Pleasanton retail store
Pomona at 101 West 1st Street; now Downtown Pomona depot for Amtrak, Metrolink, and bus lines
Porterville freight moved to Old River Rd, 2.2 miles south of I-5; now private residence in Kern County
Porterville passenger now a museum
Ravendale NCO, moved off track, private
Redding Amtrak and UP train crew office; along the tracks at Yuba Street
Redding freight was the original passenger depot, dismantled and parts stored in various locations
Riverdale a portion is still located on its original site, complete with signboards on both ends
Roseville replica built in 1994, original was a different style
Routier now a real estate office on Folsom near Rancho Cordova
Rutherford trackside, not in good shape
Sacramento now Amtrak
Salinas now Amtrak, and a UP crew office
Sanger moved to city park, now a museum
St. Helena restored and converted into offices
San Carlos now a restaurant; built in 1888 of Almaden sandstone,
has the original Victorian filigree decorations and the original dark grey slate roof
San Diego SDAE used the ATSF depot from 1916-1951
San Francisco 4th & Townsend, built 1975, cement and glass
San Jose Cahill station, now renamed Ron Diridon station
San Leandro 1302 Orchard Ave, San Leandro Historical Railway Society
San Luis Obispo now Amtrak
San Luis Obispo freight built in 1894; soon to be the San Luis Obispo Railroad Museum
Santa Barbara now Amtrak
Santa Clara now a museum and Santa Clara Model Railroad Club
Santa Paula now the Chamber of Commerce, Art Gallery, Historical Society meeting hall
Santa Susana now a model railroad club
Saticoy now a lumber yard office
Saugus moved to Hart Park in Newhall, now Santa Clarita Historical Society
Schellville Cal Northern
Seguro converted to residence, lettering says Oildale; on Norris east of North Chester
Selma passenger at 1935 E. Front Street; now the police station
Selma freight moved to Selma Pioneer Village; on Highland north of 99, behind Cattlemen Restaurant
Shingle Springs now an antique store
South Sausalito recently "found" by Art Fisher, awaiting further details
Stockton on Weber Street; building for sale
Strathmore moved to Lemoore; to be transit station on E. Street between Fox and Follett
Suisun-Fairfield Amtrak; 205 Main Street, SuisunCity
Sunol being restored
Susanville passenger and ticket area restored after a fire, depot located on the "Bizz" Johnson Rail Trail
Tarpey 4th and Clovis in Clovis, restored
Truckee trackside
Turlock at East Main Street and Golden State Blvd.; now a restaurant, can eat in caboose and freight cars
Valley Springs now a real estate office
Vina Tracks and 5th Street; private residence


CALIFORNIA .
Visalia passenger now a restaurant
Walnut Creek now a restaurant
Waterford now a restaurant, "Ice Cream Junction," on Hwy 132 about 1/4 mile East of E Street
Watsonville owned by Granite Rock; used as storage
Watsonville Junction now a UP crew office
Wendel .
Whittier moved to Greenleaf Avenue near Mar Vista St., now Transit Center
Willow Ranch NCO, moved off track, private
Woodland moved, under restoration
Yountville moved, now a business
Yuba City moved to the County Fairgrounds, may become a museum


LOUISIANA .
Baldwin moved outside New Iberia along US Highway 90
Eunice restored as a museum next to the old right of way
Gretna freight depot; now Gretna Welcome Center, 739 4th St.
Gretna T&P passenger depot; now Louisiana Railroad Museum, 739 3rd St.
Lafayette .
Lake Charles .
New Iberia now the general offices of the Louisiana and Delta Railroad
New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal; now Amtrak
Paradis moved across the road from the tracks, now a Texaco storage space
Schriever now an Amtrak stop
Sulphur Brimstone Museum at 900 South Huntington


NEVADA .
Elko freight now a store
Fallon freight portion near Depot Casino; passenger portion inside Depot Casino
Fernley moved to Main St.
Lovelock freight now a private business
Lovelock passenger being restored as chamber of commerce and tourist center
Reno now Amtrak
Reno NCO, east of downtown, bought by WP, never SP
Sparks depot in Victorian Square is a reproduction built in 1976, per Dale Darney
Wabuska moved to Nevada State Railroad Museum
Wadsworth moved to Sparks in 1905, still in use as yard office with tower added


NEW MEXICO .
Ancho moved to highway US 54; now a museum My House of Old Things
Carrizzo pre-fab? used by UP
Coalora moved to Capitan; now park storage
Columbus intersection of Route 11 and Route 9; now the Columbus Railroad Depot Museum
Corona moved 1991 N. White Sands Blvd. in Alamogordo; now Toy Train Depot
Deming moved to Country Club Road between I-10 and Business I-10 on east side of town
Hachita moved several miles north of town, now a private residence
Tucumcari Main St, N. 2nd St./East Railroad Ave


OREGON .
Albany now used by Amtrak and Willamette & Pacific
Ashland moved, now a business
Aurora now an antique shop
Brooks moved to the Oregon Electric Railway Museum
Brownsville now the Linn County Historical Society museum
Canby moved to Clackmas County Fairgrounds, now a museum
Carlton passenger section an antique shop, freight section a grain warehouse
Chemult in use by the UP MOW
Corvallis Red Electric passenger depot is a restaurant along the Willamette River
Corvallis freight meeting rooms downstairs, rental apartments upstairs
Dillard moved, now on display at museum in Roseburg
Eugene now Amtrak
Forest Grove Oregon Electric brick depot substantially modified and barely recognizable
Garibaldi used as a museum, owned by the Lions Club
Gaston .
Gaylord Moved to Powers, OR
Glendale moved, now a meeting hall and senior citizen center
Halsey now a multi-use community building; top half of two story building is the depot, bottom is not
Hillsboro used by Portland & Western MOW
Klamath Falls now Amtrak
Lakeview NCO, now a used car lot and living quarters
Lebanon community meeting rooms
Mapleton moved to Florence, OR; now the Waterfront Depot Restaurant & Bar at 1252 Bay Street
McMinneville used by Willamette & Pacific
Medford now a restaurant and micro-brewery
MillCity now The Canyon Life Museum, operated by the North Santiam Historical Society
Monroe freight section exists on original location
Mt.Angel restored, now antique shop
Oswego small cinder-block building used by Willamette Shores Trolley excursion ticket office
Perrydale was to be preserved, too far gone, still standing though, see osrm.org
Portland Amtrak, neon "Southern Pacific, Go By Train" sign still functional
Powers now a logging railroad museum
Reedsport .
Rockaway Beach moved, used as hotel
Roseburg now a restaurant
Salem used by Amtrak, owned by Oregon Department of Transportation
Sheridan replica, now the city hall and used by the sheriff
Silverton freight section original, office section a replica
Springfield moved, chamber of commerce office
Tangent only freight section exists, moved and now a private residence
Tillamook .
Toledo used by Willamette & Pacific
West Scio moved, now a local museum
Woodburn moved to St. Luke's Church on 5th and Harrison, used as a youth group center
Woodville former Oregon & California depot, originally built in 1884;
currently in pieces, remains to be rebuilt at the Medford Railroad Park; Medford, OR


TEXAS .
. On March 1, 1927, GH&SA, H&TC, and T&NO merged into T&NO.
. Any depot built before that date could be GH&SA, H&TC, SA&AP, or T&NO.
. Any depot built after that date is TNO.
. TM merged into T&NO on April 1, 1928. EP&SW merged into SP.
Alpine now Amtrak
Anna .
Austin A&NW, then H&TC, 504 E. 5th, now the Depot Hotel, built 1871-1872
Bertram former SA&AP depot from Orange Grove, TX
Brenham H&TC; on South Market St. east of Commerce
Brownsville T&NO, now the Historic Brownsville Museum; 6th & E. Madison Sts.
Burton H&TC; on Railroad Street
Caldwell H&TC freight, now a restaurant which looks like feed store, which it once was.
Cameron SA&AP
Carmine H&TC; being restored
Cleveland SP/ATSF, moved from the tracks, now a private residence
Columbus GH&SA freight depot, one-story, now a museum
Comfort T&NO
Commerce TM
Cooper TM, now the Patterson Memorial Delta County Museum
Cushing T&NO, now the Cushing Library; moved to 778 Walnut
Dallas Union Station, 400 S. Houston St.
Dallas H&TC passenger depot from 1903 to 1916; relegated to yardmasters office after the opening of Union Station in Dallas.
Moved to Fair Park in August, 1963; now the office for the Age of Steam Railroad Museum
Del Rio restored brick station, owned by the city and called the Transportation Center;100 W. Ogden
Eagle Lake GH&SA passenger
Eagle Pass GH&SA freight
Edinburg chamber of commerce
Edna GH&SA
El Paso Union Passenger Station, southwest corner of Coldwell and San Francisco
El Paso EP&SW freight depot
Elgin TNO and MKT passenger depot; now the Elgin Depot Museum and Archive at 14 Depot Street
Elgin H&TC freight depot located trackside a few hundred yards from the Union depot.
Ennis ticket/baggage and express buildings used as a museum, depot burned in 1930's
Ferris now the city mayor's office; Ovilla Road and FM 664
Flatonia SA&AP passenger depot, now the signal maintainer tool house
Flatonia SA&AP freight depot; wooden building one block north of US-90; severely damaged by wind storm June 3, 2007
Floresville SA&AP depot on a nearby ranch. Plans are to move it to town and restore it
Frankston T&NO; now a library and museum; on SH 155
Galveston Union Depot; now the Galveston Island Railroad Museum
Giddings H&TC
Giddings SA&AP freight depot or freight house
Giddings Union passenger depot, used by H&TC and SA&AP
Gonzales now headquarters of the Texas Gonzales & Northern RR
Gregory under threat of demolition, currently standing
Harlingen former passenger & freight district office; SP freight depot when the passenger depot was torn down
Hearne H&TC joint station with I&GN, being restored as a depot museum
Hondo now the Medina County Museum; moved to 2202 18th Street
Houston now Amtrak; 902 Washington Ave.
Ingleside SA&AP depot owned by the Chamber of Commerce
Jacksonville TNO freight, now Harris' Feed Store behind police station
Kerrville SA&AP
Kingsland SA≈ moved from Muldoon, now the antique shop at The Antlers Hotel
Kosse H&TC; moved to Saginaw. Located on Main Street and is now the Chamber of Commerce


TEXAS .
Lacyville "Jim Crow" flag stop, two waiting areas: an open porch and one enclosed; now a hunter's cabin
Lancaste H&TC freight depot
La Porte .
Leander moved to where?
Liberty TNO
Louise TNO
Lozano moved to Combes, intersection of US77 and TX107, private property
Luling standing as of 9-29-2002 in Lockhart (is this a depot or tool house?)
Mabank moved, now a cafe
McAllen chamber of commerce, 100 S. Bicentennial
McDade now a general store
Mackay TNO
Marathon standing, needs restoration, which railroad built it?
Marble Falls 801 U.S. 281 at Avenue H
Midlothian H&TC, moved
Moscow moved to Nacogdoches, next to the Nacogdoches freight depot
Moulton SA&AP, now a bridal shop, "The Bridal Rail"
Muldoon SA&AP depot, moved to The Antlers Hotel in Kingsland, TX
Nacogdoches HE&WT freight
Nacogdoches T&NO passenger, being restored; corner of North Old Tyler Road and West Main St.
Orange .
Paige H&TC, moved, now the community center located on Hwy 290 East
Paris Union Depot
Ponta TNO, moved to Cushing; now a residence, barely recognizable
Pine Flat also known as Hoya, on Rockland subdivision
Port Arthur .
Port Lavaca intersection of Railroad St. and Virginia St
Poth SA&AP, a farm and ranch museum
Reklaw TNO, now a residence, barely recognizable
Richmond .
Rockdale SA&AP freight
Rockport SA&AP, 105 S. Magnolia
Rosser TM
San Antonio restored, at the St. Paul Square
San Leon now a private residence, moved to 631 Clear Lake Road, Clear Lake Shores
Seguin freight now used as a feed and farm supply store
Sheridan T&NO, now a lumber company
Sierra Blanca GH&SA, moved off track; now the Hudspeth County Historical Society Museum
Simonton SA&AP, south of town on FM 1489 on Sanders Rd.; now private residence with additions
Sugar Land now the Fort Bend County Chamber of Commerce; moved to 445 Commerce Green Blvd.
Terrel TM freight, red brick depot built circa 1897
Waco H&TC passenger depot; 209 Taylor St., built by Waco & Northwestern in 1872
Wallis SA≈ moved into pasture outside town
Waring SA≈ now a private residence
Weimar 109 E. Jackson Ave.
Wharton GH&SA depot
Yorktown only freight house portion exists; was dismantled and may not be standing on farm south of town


UTAH .
Ogden Union Station
Transfer at the north end of the Ogden yards