Gardner and Pierson Families Genealogy

 

 

 

 

Samuel Gardner Family

 

 

Samuel GARDNER was born about 15 Jun 1787 in New York. He died 30 Apr 1864 and was buried in Gardner Cemetery, Bingham, Clinton Co, Michigan.

 

CENSUS:

1820 U.S. Census, Niagara Twp., Niagara Co., New York:

Samuel Gardner

Males:

Under 10 years - 3

10 and under 16 - 1

26 and under 45 - 1

Females:

16 and under 26 - 1

              -------------------

1830 U.S. Census, Cambria Twp., Niagara Co., New York:

Samuel Gardner

Males:

Under 5 years - 1

5 and under 10 - 2

10 and under 15 - 2

20 andunder 30 - 1

30 and under 40 - 1

Females:

Under 5 years - 1

5 and under 10 - 1

10 and under 15 - 1

15 and under 20 - 1

30 and under 40 - 1

50 and under 60 - 1

            --------------------

1840 U.S. Census, Michigan, Clinton County:

Samuel Gardiner

Free White Persons, Males:

15 and under 20 - 1

20 and under 30 - 1

50 and under 60 - 1

Free White Persons, Females:

Under 5 - 1

10 and under 15 - 1

20 and under 30 - 1

             ------------------------------

1850 U.S. Census, Michigan, Clinton County, Bingham Twp:

Samuel Gardner, 61, farmer, Value of real estate - $1500, b. New York

Laura, 56, b. New York

Lewis C., 17, b. New York

Anna E., 15, b. New York, attended school within the year

Peter, 12, b. Michigan, attended school within the year

Henry Griffith, 32, farmer, value of real estate owned - $300, b. New York

             - -----------------------------

1860 U.S. Census, Michigan, Clinton County, Bingham Twp:

Samuel Gardner, 71, farmer, Value of real estate - $2000, Value of personal estate - $400, b. New York

Lanen, 67, b. New York

Henry P., 21, farmer, Value of real estate - $500, Value of personal estate - $100, b. Michigan, attended school within year

Mary 20, b. New York, attended school within year

Austriss A. Fisk, 32, domestic, b. New York

Sarah U., 8, b. Michigan, attended school

Jacob, 7, b. Michigan, attended school

Melissa L., 2, b. Michigan

              ------------------------------

1864 Michigan State Census, Agriculture Census of Clinton County, Bingham Twp:

Samuel Gardner

Whole no. of acres taxable - 40

No. of acres improved - 30

No. of acres of corn harvested preceding year - 3

No. of bushels of corn raised the preceding year - 30

No. of bushels of all other kinds of grain raised the preceding year - 100

No. of bushels of potatoes raised the preceding year - 30

No. of tons of hay cut the preceding year - 10

No. of pounds of butter made the preceding year - 100

No. of milch cows - 2

No. of swine over 6 months old - 2

              ------------------------------

1864 Michigan State Census, Inhabitants Census of Clinton County, Bingham Twp:

Samuel Gardner

Males over 10 and under 21 - 1

Males over 75 and under 95 - 1

Married - 1

Females over 5 and under 16 - 1

Females over 40 and under 75 - 1

Married - 1

             --------------------------------

1870 U.S. Census, Bingham Twp., Clinton County, Michigan:

Gardner, Henry P., 31, farmer, Value of real estate - $2200, Value of personal estate - $790, b. Michigan

Mary A., 30, keeping house, b. New York

Emma J., 9, b. Michigan, attended school within the year

Fred, 6, b. Michigan, attended school within the year

Birtie, 2, b. Michigan

Lala, 73, Occupation - none (aged), b. New York

 

 

LAND:

Bureau of Land Management, Land Patents:

Samuel Gardner purchased land in Livingston and Washtenaw Counties, Michigan, 10 Aug 1837. He was from Ashtabula Co., Ohio. He purchased 158 acres and 63/100 of an acre.

              ------------------------------

"Early Land Owners and Settlers of Livingston Co., Michigan, 1828 - 1870's", by Milton Charboneau, copyright 1996, p. 290:

"Samuel Gardner, wife Lanea, buy land in Sec. 36, Hamburg, Ep-SW, & SW-SE, June 24, 1836, of Ashtabula, Ohio.   Sell in 1839, & 1840, of Hamburg.   In census of Hamburg, 1840."

              ------------------------------

"First Land Owners, Livingston County, Michigan, from U.S. Tract Records", compiled by Milton Charboneau, Livingston County Genealogical Society, Howell, Michigan, 1986. p. 67., from the Madison Historical Society Library:

"Samuel Gardner, Ashtabula, OH, June 24, 1836, E 1/2/SW & SW/SE, 120."

             ------------------------------

1880 History of Livingston County Michigan," by Franklin Ellis,   Philadelphia: Everts and Abbott, 1880,   p. 279:

"Land Entries:   The following is a list of those who entered land in what now constitutes the township of Hamburg, together with the sections and the years of entry:

Section 36:   1836, Samuel Gardner"

              ------------------------------

Livingston County, Michigan, Deed Records, liber 5, p. 131:   Samuel and Lanea Gardner of Hamburg, Livingston Co., sell land in Hamburg to Ezra Mundy of Howell Co., Michigan, on 30 Nov. 1840.

 

 

BIOGRAPHY:

"1880 History of Livingston County Michigan with illustrations and biographical sketches of its prominent men and pioneers," by Franklin Ellis,   Philadelphia: Everts and Abbott, 1880,   p. 279:

"The following is a list of township officers from 1836 - 1879, inclusive:

Assessors:   1837 - Samuel Gardner"

              ------------------------------

"Past and Present of Clinton County....together with biographical sketches of many of its prominent and leading citizens and illustrious dead" by D.W.Kelley, Chicago (Ill.): S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1906, p. 492. :

 

"This community, known as the Morton neighborhood, was soon reinforced by ......

Samuel Gardner, who located land in northwest Bingham in 1839 and located as a settler in 1840.   He established himself near the line of the road running from DeWitt along Bingham's west line, which highway became a much traveled route for land-seekers enroute to Gratiot and other northern points.   Gardner's tavern, named the Gardner House, was built in the northwestern corner of section six.   Gardner's Corners soon became a well known point."

              ------------------------------

"History of Shiawassee and Clinton Counties, Michigan, with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of their Prominent Men and Pioneers."   Philadelphia: D.W. Ensign & Co, 1880:

 

"Among other early comers into the Morton neighborhood were Charles Simpson, William Silverwood, John Avery, and Samuel Gardner.   In the year 1840 the extreme northwestern corner of Bingham came to be known as Gardner's Corners, and for many years thereafter the Corners had a reputation that reached far and wide.   It was there that Samuel Gardner located a piece of land in 1839, and in February, 1840, he occupied the place as a permanent settler.   He was located on the DeWitt road, passing via the west town-line of town 7 (now Bingham) to Gratiot County, and in the year 1840 there was a good deal of travel over that road by land-seekers bound for Gratiot County.   Travel naturally suggested a tavern, and during 1840 Mr. Gardner put up a log tavern upon the spot now occupied by one of his grandsons in the northwestern corner of section 6.

 

Mr. Gardner called his tavern the Gardner House, and the locality Gardner's Corners.   At the time mentioned (1840) he had but few neighbors in Bingham.   Lucius Morton, Benjamin Finkle, and Joel Bebee were living in the town east of him, but south of him, on the DeWitt road, he knew of no one but William H. and Reuben Norris between Gardner's Corners and DeWitt.   Travel on that highway increased as time moved on, and in 1843, to meet the demands of the occasion, Gardner replaced his log tavern with a more pretentious and commodius framed hotel. A portion of it he set apart as a store, and thereafter, between selling goods and keeping tavern, drove a brisk trade.   The Gardner House was, too, a place of popular resort for the pleasure-seekers and merry-makers of the adjoining country, and the many jolly dances and similar festive gatherings that marked its busy era are still subjects of enjoyable remembrance among those who took part in them.   The country belles in those days were inordinately fond of dancing opportunities, and although they did walk barefooted many miles to a Gardner House ball and carry their shoes to the ball-room door to save the wear of them, they enjoyed the hilarious reunions none the less nor missed one when they could help it.

 

Business at Gardner's tavern was during the briskest season of travel so great that upwards of sixty teams were kept there overnight, and the receipts of money before ten o'clock in the morning were more than a hundred dollars.   Gardner kept the tavern until his death in 1867, and after that his widow carried it on until it was burned in 1872.   During 1854, Mr. Gardner built at St. Johns the first tavern put up at the village, although he was himself at no time the landlord of it.   In 1857 a post-office called Gardner's Corners was established at Gardner's Hotel, and Mr. Gardner given charge of it.   Mail was received from St. Johns, the route being from the latter place to Maple Rapids.   Mr. Gardner remained in charge of the office as postmaster until 1863, when it was abolished."

              ------------------------------

"The History of Clinton County, Michigan, 1980," Clinton County Historical Society, St. Johns, Michigan, 1980, p.459.:

 

"West Bingham Cemetery, on Taft Road next to the Church of the Open Bible, is in general use for burials.   Another cemetery called the Gardner is rarely used or visited.   It is located on the Rappuhn farm in the extreme northwest corner of the township, where Bingham, Bengal, Essex, and Greenbush Townships come together.   Samuel Gardner once operated an inn at that corner and a school and a cemetery were named after him."

             ------------------------------

"Forgotten Communities of Central Michigan,"   by Ford Stevens Ceasar, 1978, p. 22.:

 

"Samuel Gardner was another early arrival in Bingham Township, taking up property in 1840 in the extreme northwest corner, and the area was named Gardner's Corners.   The proprietor built a log tavern on his site immediately as he was located on the route of travel for those seeking lands in Gratiot County.   Three years later, Gardner replaced the original log building with a frame structure.   It has been recorded that as many as sixty teams of horses were kept overnight on the site.   Gardner kept the tavern until his death which occurred in 1867.   Mrs. Gardner succeeded her husband in the business until 1872 when the tavern burned down.  

 

Samuel Gardner established a post office at his tavern in 1857, and he was appointed to the first postmastership.   The office was abolished in 1863.   Romig, in his book, "Michigan Place Names," records the dates as November 16, 1855 to June 30, 1858."

 

P. 27: "The road between Gardner's Tavern in Bingham Township and DeWitt was the only stage and mail route for several years. Mediocre hotels and taverns sprang up along the well-traveled highway in Olive..."

             ------------------------------

"Clinton County Trails," Genealogists of the Clinton County Historical Society, P.O. Box 23, St. Johns, MI, 48879, June, 1997, Volume 12, Number 2.:

 

GARDNER SCHOOL

"Gardner School used to occupy the southeast corner of Walker and Airport roads in section 7 of Bingham Township.   According to the 1980 "History of Clinton County," it was named after Samuel Gardner who long ago operated an inn near there.   Records show the last school structure was 735 square feet and was built on the half-acre site in 1880."

 

"The archives holds a wealth of records on the Gardner School, including copies of other certificates like the one above naming Bernice H. Hettler, teacher for the school year 1925-6 in district No. 2 Frl."

Gardners listed in Class Lists are:

1878 - Celia Gardner, 9 years

1886 - Eddie Gardner, 8 years

Gardners in class photos:

1884 - Edwin Gardner

            Minnie Gardner

            Nellie Gardner

1891 - Eva Gardner

             ------------------------------

Information on Clinton County Schools, from the DeWitt Public Library, Genealogy Department:

Common Name: GARDNER SCHOOL

Dist. Number: 2 Frl.

Twp.: Bingham

Section No.: 7

Location: SE corner Walker and Airport

Status 1987: Demolished

Other Information: Sometimes called "Kneeland." Structure extant in 1951 was built in 1880 (735 sq. ft., 1 story, on 1/2 acre site); named after Samuel Gardner who once operated an inn at NW corner of Bingham Twp. District still operating in 1955. Annexed to St. Johns Public Schools 1965.

 

GardnerSchool .jpg

GardnerSchool01 (Small).jpg

 Gardner School, undated

 Today's site of the former Gardner School

 

-----------------------------

"Michigan Place Names, The History of the Founding and the Naming of More Than Five Thousand Past and Present Michigan Communities," by Walter Romig, L.H.D., also publisher, Grosse Pointe, Michigan, p. 217:

 

GARDNER'S CORNERS, Clinton County: Samuel Gardner located land here in 1839 and built a widely-known tavern in 1840; after his death in 1867, his widow ran the tavern until it burned down in 1872; he was also the first postmaster here from Nov. 16, 1855, until the office was closed on June 30, 1858 [Ellis; PO Archives].

 

 

MARRIAGE

Samuel married Lancha FRANCISCO on unknown date. Lancha was born about 1794 in New York. She died about 1876.

 

 

DEATH of SAMUEL:

"Clinton Republican", St. Johns, Michigan, Friday, 6 May 1864:

 

Samuel Gardner, one of the earliest settlers of this county, died at his residence four miles northwest of this village on Saturday morning last, at the ripe old age of 87 years.   Mr. Gardner was formerly well known to the traveling public, having kept the house known as "Gardner's Tavern" for many years.   He leaves many and warm friends.

 

 

BURIAL:

Tombstone inscription from Gardner Cemetery tombstone:

Samuel Gardner, Died April 30, 1864, Age 77 yrs./10 mths./ 11 days.

 

GardnerCemetery01.jpg

GardnerCemetery03.jpg

SamuelGardnerStone.jpg

 Gardner Cemetery, looking at the location of the Gardner graves. The Gardner Inn was located in the field beyond the cemetery.

 Removing grass and dirt from Samuel's stone

 Samuel Gardner headstone, broken and lying flat on the ground. Weeping willows are carved on either side of an urn at the top of the stone.

 

 

Samuel and Lancha had the following CHILDREN:

 

1.  George W. GARDNER (Samuel) was born about 1815 in New York. He died date unknown.

 

2.   John William GARDNER (Samuel) was born about 1 Mar 1817 or 1818 in New York. He died 13 Aug 1877 in DeWitt Twp, Clinton Co, Michigan and was buried in DeWitt Cemetery, DeWitt, Clinton Co., Michigan.

 

3.  William C. GARDNER (Samuel) was born 15 Jul 1820 in Niagara Co, New York. He died 7 Jul 1892 in Bengal, Clinton Co, Michigan and was buried in Gardner Cemetery, Bingham, Clinton Co, Michigan.

 

4.  Mary J. GARDNER (Samuel) was born about 6 March 1824 in New York. She died 20 Oct 1867 in Sciota Twp., Shiawassee Co., Michigan and was buried in Blood Cemetery, Victor Twp., Clinton Co, Michigan.

 

5.   Samuel Hooker GARDNER (Samuel) was born about 1826 in New York.   He died 17 May 1879 in DeWitt, Clinton Co, Michigan.

 

6.   Austrus Ann GARDNER (Samuel) was born about 1827 in New York.

 

7.  Lewis C. GARDNER (Samuel) was born about 1833 in New York.. I believe he may have died shortly after his Civil War service, possibly in Washington D.C.

 

8.   Ann (Anna) Eliza GARDNER (Samuel) was born about 1835 in New York. She died date unknown in place unknown.

 

9.   Henry Peter GARDNER (Samuel) was born 5 Jun 1839 in Hamburg, Livingston Co., Michigan. He died 31 Aug 1900 in St. Johns, Clinton Co, Michigan and was buried in Mt. Rest Cemetery, St. Johns, Clinton Co, Michigan.

 

[Back to Top]