You will need RealAudio to listen to my music.
UNC Jazz Press
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639
(970) 351-2577, fax: (970) 351-1923
- The North Rim (RealAudio) - (8 Brass) Exciting contemporary chart written in a straight-eighth note style. Rhythmically intricate intro leads to a simple, but rhythmic melody stated in the trombones. Features a trombone solo which emerges from a dynamic ensemble section. An exciting solo vehicle for trombone. The title cut from the 1996 compact disc by the UNC Jazz Lab Band I. Doubles: Alto 1-Piccolo (Flute); Tenor 1-Soprano Sax, Bari Sax-Flute. Trumpet Range: E3.
- Diddle for the Middle (RealAudio) - (8 Brass) Contemporary straight-eighth chart in 3/4 time with a Pat Metheny feel. Challenging rhythms and chord changes makes this chart fun to listen to as well as perform. Winner of the 1995 Jazz Composition Contest at the University of North Texas and performed by the One O'Clock Lab Band. 1st Alto doubles soprano and plays improvised solo. Trumpet Range: E3.
- Blue in Green (RealAudio) - (7 or 8 Brass, not including solo) Miles Davis/Bill Evans ballad features trumpet or trombone solo. Featured by the University of Northern Iowa Jazz Ensemble with Terell Stafford at the 1996 Tallcorn Jazz Festival and at the 1995 UNC/Greeley Jazz Festival by UNC's Jazz Lab Band I. Altos and Tenors double flute. Trumpets double flugelhorn. Trumpet Range: F#3.
- Escape Velocity (RealAudio) - (10 Brass) The arrangement of this Woody Shaw composition has been used as a concert opener by the University of North Texas One O'Clock Lab Band for many years and is recorded on their album "Live in Australia" (1986). This chart is fast, but not too difficult, until you get to Woody's transcribed solo for the saxes. A rhythm section workout! Solos for trumpet and tenor sax. Doubles: Alto 1, 2-Flute; Ten. Sax 2-Flute. Trumpet Range: F#3.
- The Dance of Love - Arrangement of an original tune by the Atlanta based group League of Decency. This tune rocks! Performed at the 1996 UNC/Greeley Jazz Festival by UNC's Sus 4. Instrumentation: SSAA, synth, guitar, bass, and drums.
- A Visit to Kaibab (RealAudio) - 3/4 Afro-Cuban groove with swing sections. Very melodic writing and interesting horn voicings. Solo chord changes written in all horn parts. Ending includes rhythmic interplay between horn figures and drum solo. Written for trumpet, tenor sax, trombone, piano, bass, and drums.
International Trombone Association Press
138 Fine Arts Center
University of Missouri-Columbia
Columbia, MO 65211
(573) 882-0926, fax: (573) 884-7444
- Sonata for Six Trombones (RealAudio) - Contemporary work for trombones written in three movements. Utilizes most 20th century compositional techniques, excluding 12-tone and the avant garde. This composition could be one of the most interesting pieces played on your next trombone choir concert. Duration: app. 10:00.
- Litaniae de Beata Virgine Mary - (Palestrina) transcribed for five trombones.
- In Festo Transfigurationis Domini - (Palestrina) transcribed for tuba quartet (2 euphoniums - 2 tubas).
- Magnificat - (Palestrina) transcribed for tuba quartet (2 euphoniums - 2 tubas).
TAP Music Sales
1992 Hunter Avenue
Newton, IA 50208
800-554-7628 or 515-792-0352
- Remembrance - (8 Brass) Ballad feature for trombone. Trombone Range: C2
Five Trombones and Rhythm
- Dahmley - Ballad composed by Jerry Coker. Very nice harmonic writing. Trombone Range: D2.
- Mpingo (RealAudio) - Written for Oboe (or Soprano Sax) and Tape. This new composition has already been performed on two faculty recitals, a master's recital, and on National Public Radio. Lyrical and intervalic melodies are built over somewhat complicated African rhythms. After all, clarinets and oboes are made of this African dark wood. Duration: 6:30.
- Two Moods for Brass - Brass quintet piece in two movements, each containing contrasting ternary forms. Performed by the Atlanta Symphony Brass Quintet. Trumpets double flugelhorn. Duration: app. 6:00.
- The Dark Hills - Vocal and Piano set in a 20th c. modal style.
- Steam - Electronic piece on tape.
- Story Tales - (8 Brass) Laid back, straight-eighth feel with nice harmonies and colors. Easy to play. Trumpets double flugels, Altos and Tenors double flute. Trumpet Range: C3.
- Dedication Song (8 Brass) Bossa feel with soprano and flugelhorn unison on the melody. Trumpet plays solo over a funky vamp leading to tenor solo over the changes. Performed by the Sonny Costanzo Jazz Ensemble with Clark Terry at the Hartford Jazz Festival in 1992..
This web page is an innovation in music education over the internet. Learn jazz arranging and composition techniques with the aide of the internet tool CDLinks by Voyager. All you have to do is visit my web site to learn more about jazz arranging and composition with the assistance of the University of Northern Colorado Jazz Lab Band I.
[Back to Top of Page] [Back to bristolnotes.com]