The histories of Milton and the Presbyterian Church have been intertwined since 1823. By that time, Milton had grown to be a thriving center of trade and industry and was the shopping center of choice for folks within a one-hundred mile radius. It was then that townspeople decided to build a house of worship, having previously met for Sunday morning worship at the Milton Female Academy with services conducted by various visiting ministers.
Quoting from an article written by Reverend James Douglas, the first Presbyterian minister:
A Female Fragment Society was formed, which undertook by the sale of needlework and other work (concerts, donations, etc.) to raise the sum required to build a church. This church, by this constitution, was to be Free until some of the four leading denominations of Christians in this county should succeed in forming a society of professing Christians in the town, after which the church was to belong to that denomination.
By the fall of 1825 about $400 had been raised by the Fragment Society and a contract was made to build a church. About the same time a subscription was handed round for the support of a minister for one year, with the understanding that every subscriber of $4 and upward should have a vote for the denomination. About $350 was subscribed.
Finally the vote was held which resulted in 38 votes for the Presbyterian denomination and 8 votes for the Episcopalian. James W. Douglas became the first pastor of Milton Presbyterian Church in March 1826. A frame building was erected near the town cemetery at a cost of $800.
It was not long before the congregation felt that a larger church building was needed, and in 1837 the present brick structure was built. It is reported that the bricks were made from local clay. The huge hand-hewn rafters and beams in the attic are held together with wooden pegs.
One of the most prized possessions of the church today as in the early days is the set of pews which were made by Thomas Day, a furniture maker whose shop was located in the old Yellow Tavern, the second brick building east of the church. Day gave the pews to the church with the understanding that he and his wife Acquilla be permitted to sit in the main sanctuary instead of the slave balcony. Old folks used to point to the left front pews facing the minister as the section where the Day family sat during worship services.
The center partition is a relic of a time when the men and women sat on opposite sides of the church. Clay pottery cuspidors lined the aisles on the men's side.
The handsome rosewood pulpit is thought to be the handiwork of Thomas Day. The crushed velvet pulpit furniture has been used in the church since the 1840's.
The interior and exterior of the church, except for painting, repairing, and installing of air conditioning, new sanctuary lights, and two stained-glass windows, remain virtually the same as when first built over 160 years ago. The basement once used as a school room, was renovated in the late 1950's by the men of the church.
The congregation meets for Sunday School every week and for worship services every second and fourth Sundays. Our church is open every day for prayer, meditation, or to simply share in our history.
Write to us
Visit Presbyterian Church USA home page
See the good works of Caswell Parish