Some of the Residents of Seventysix
The town and post office were established on February 11, 1880, with William H. Barnes appointed as postmaster. The service at the post office was in existence until April 5, 1954. A rural route eminated out of Seventysix on July 31, 1915. The following list names the postmasters and the dates (that were available) of their appointments. William H. Barnes - February 11, 1880, Thomas R. Byrd - September 4, 1882, George F. McPike - October 21, 1884, Luther Harriman - December 29, 1886, Henry C. Hagar - February 24, 1894, George S. Hatch - February 1, 1895. Others were Joe Schnier, Robert Sumrow, Theodore Finger, and Elmer Smith, who served from June 19, 1953 to April, 1954. George Klobe was the rural carrier. Money orders could be placed or purchased at the Seventysix office also.
Some of the earlier families that settled in Seventysix were: Barnes, Byrd, McPike, Harrisman, Hagar, Sweders, Swank, Swan, Schnier, Strickland, Parker, Hatch, and Hughey. A minister named Worsham, from Old Appleton, rode to Seventysix on horseback to conduct church services.
Mr. Hatch donated some land for a schoolhouse, and in 1920 about 60 children attended the school with only one teacher. Some of the teachers who taught at this school were Miss Joyce, Sloan Cottner, Blanch Swan, Mary Lukey Barber (1923-1925), George Klobe, Clayborne Barber, Robert Barber, Bessie Jones, Maude Pickins, Thomas Hemming, and Jerry Klobe. A school for colored children was located across the road and up the hill from the school for white children. About 20 students attended this school. Some of the black residents of the town were Levi, Beal, Ann Lee, Christopher and Della Gillenwater, and Sam Gassiberry, from Mississippi